Here at the Kids Campfire Blog, we’re always playing games outdoors! We thought this would be a great opportunity to share with you some of our favourite camping, cottage, or backyard games that we’ve come to love.
What’s your favourite outdoor game for kids? We want to hear from you! Tell us what games you think are fun for the campground, the cottage, or those rainy days you’re stuck inside.
If you’re looking for some other resources on outdoor games for kids, check out some of these great spots:
Hide and Go Seek
We think this game is one of the best games to play outdoors, indoors, and especially with as many friends as you can find! Be careful with whatever hiding space you choose, and make sure you don’t pick a spot that’s too hard to get found. An outdoor location works best, although indoors is fine for rainy days. It will be necessary to set boundaries for hiding or you will have players running off to too many far-off locations
Here’s how it works:
1. At least three players are needed to play the game. Naturally, however, the more players you have, the better.
2. Set some rules. Make sure you determine the boundaries of the game. The larger the space, the more frustrating and difficult the game may be. Don’t let people wander off too far, otherwise it may lead to a very long search.
3. Determine who will be “it”. Once the person who will be “It” has been chosen, he or she stays at home base, closes his or her eyes and begins counting out loud to a number from about 10 to 100. The number you choose should be based on how many people are playing the game and the distances to hiding spots. The more people, the higher the number should be.
4. Hide! All of the players who are not “It” should run off and quietly hide from the player who is counting. The person who is “It” is not allowed to peek at the players hiding from him or her.
5. Once the player who is “It” has finished counting, he or she yells “Ready or not, here I come!“. At this point, the player who is “It” must try to find all of the other players who have hidden. The players who are hiding can move or switch hiding places.
6. The player who gets found first becomes “It” in the next round of the game.
It’s as easy as that! Watch this funny video that explains the game a little more, and shows you just how easy it is:Tags: active, camping, fun, games, hide, kids, outdoors, seek