Here at the Kids Campfire Blog, we’re always playing games outdoors! We thought this would be a great opportunity to share with you some of our favourite camping, cottage, or backyard games that we’ve come to love.
What’s your favourite outdoor game for kids? We want to hear from you! Tell us what games you think are fun for the campground, the cottage, or those rainy days you’re stuck inside.
If you’re looking for some other resources on outdoor games for kids, check out some of these great spots:
One of our favourite games to play outdoors on a nice day is Capture the Flag. This is a game that’ll have kids and parents playing for hours. Grab your running shoes, because you’ll need ’em!
What You’ll Need to Do:
1. Divide into two teams of three or more people.
2. Divide territories for the teams. Streets, trails, creeks and fence lines all make good border markers.
3. Agree on two items to serve as “flags.” They should be brightly coloured.
4. Decide what happens when captured. Either choose to make players “out” for the rest of the game, converted to the team that caught them, or put in a “jail” to be rescued by their teammates.
How to Play the Game:
1. Retreat by team into your territory to hide the flag. The flag must be hung at head height and be visible.
2. Attempt to sneak across the border, find and capture the enemy flag, and then race back without being caught.
3. Hide around your flag or along the border and try to intercept and catch any opposing players who sneak across if you are a defender
4. Capture enemy players by tagging them while they are on your side of the border.
5. Win by capturing the enemy flag and carrying it back to your side of the border.
Go Directly to “Jail”:
1. Put captured enemy players in “jail” by picking an area with a clearly defined border to serve as the jail.
2. Rescue teammates by sneaking across the border, finding the jail, tagging your teammate, then racing back across the border.
3. Recapture players by tagging them again before they reach the border.
Thanks for all the great information on Capture the Flag found at “How to Play Capture the Flag“.Tags: andy camper, camping, capture the flag, fun, games, kids, outdoors